Day 2: Job 1-2

Job 1

In this reading, Job is tested by Satan.  Job has everything he's ever wanted: 7 sons, 3 daughters, 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 oxen, 500 donkeys, and servants.  However, Satan pushes God, and God says to Satan, "Everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself, do not lay a finger."  So, Satan first takes away his oxen and donkeys, then his sheep and servants, then the camels, and then his children.  But Job does not falter!  

"Naked I came from my Mother's womb, and naked I will depart.  The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised" - Job 1:21

Job 2

In this reading, Job was tested yet again!  When probed, God says to Satan, "He is in your hands, but you must spare his life."  So, Satan plagues Job's body with festering sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head.  Job's wife tells him that he should just curse God and end the pain.  Does Job give in to her?  Absolutely not! 

"Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" - Job 2:10


Today's reading also includes an "At Issue", discussing illness.  The exerpt talks about hearing from a friend or loved one of them having terminal cancer.  Sharing in their suffering, you wonder why God would allow such a tragic and horrible thing to happen.  However, we must trust that God is good and wise, ALWAYS.  Like Job says, shall we accept the good from God, but not the trouble?  I think it's worth it.  It is definitely a test of our faith, no matter how painful and heartbreaking it may be.  

Also in today's reading is an "Ask Me Anything" conversation with Job's wife.  
1.  Tell us about your loss. 
-Loss?  How about lossES, plural!  In one day, we lost our children, our livestock, our home, and our servants - I lost everything but my husband. 
2.  Why did you tell him to give up? 
-Isn't it obvious?!  We lost absolutely everything that day,except for each other.  
3.  How did you react?  
-I was beside myself with grief.  Then I got angry at God for him allowing us to be stricken with such tragedy.  Job said I was the fool. Ha! 
4.  Why do you think he said that? 
-Job saw it all as a test from God.  I just became angry.  He chose to learn and grow from the pain. 
5.  What can we learn from this? 
-You can curse God like I did and end up living in bitterness and anger.  Or you can see your situation as a test of faith and opportunity, albeit a painful one, to grow closer to God.  


Again, such a home-hitting Scripture reading!  Having just attended the Relay for Life not too long ago and now going through my grandfather's decline, illness and tragedy have both been on my mind as of late.  This reading is a great reminder to have faith in God and accept the trouble as well as the bountiful blessings that have been bestowed upon me.  Getting angry and frustrated would only cause me to live a life of bitterness, regret, and anger.  What kind of life would that be?  I would have given into Satan and rejected God.  That is definitely not the life I want to live.  Instead, I accept that these situations are tests of my faith, and my faith is growing stronger and stronger.  I have to accept the difficulties and trust that it's all a part of His master plan! Although, I have to admit that accepting things as God's plan has been difficult for me throughout the last 23 years.  I've questioned it on several occasions, but I would love to be at a point in my faith and relationship with God to be able to praise Him without faltering.  Goals are great, I suppose.  Feeling stronger and stronger every day!  I just need to continue on my journey.  Today's reading was an amazing one, as I'm sure I'll say every day. :) 

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover