Delighting in Obedience

I have joined over 40,000 other women in the current Online Bible Study, Made to Crave. It is a six-week journey via Proverbs 31 Ministries in which you devote time and energy to studying about God, deepening your faith, and quite possibly changing your life. Head over to Proverbs 31 to find out more. It's also not too late to sign up, if you're interested. 

LINKING UP FOR WEEK 3'S BLOG HOP
MadeToCrave_cover-01
I am a work in progress, and that's okay! I'm learning {slowly} that being obedient takes time. In this study about craving God and not food, it's making me take a long, hard look at myself. Sometimes it's okay, but others, it's hard to examine myself and be truly accepting of where I am currently. Do I want to lose weight? Of course! Is it hard? YES! Am I defined by a number on the scale? Not anymore

Lysa Terkeurst encourages us through Made to Crave to be defined by our obedience to God. 

How powerful is this?! Instead of being described by just how much I weigh, I'm approaching it differently {or, attempting to...} and am looking at myself based on my obedience to God. Although this is much more satisfying than staring at a number on the scale waiting for it to finally stop climbing, I'm still not happy in being described by this. Why? Let me explain. 

I'm not very obedient to God - at least not as often or as much as I want to be. BUT, at least it's 'want' and not 'should'. Yes, I want to be more obedient to God. I'm working on it. I admit that I choose watching a few T.V. shows over reading my devotional or bible study for a night, or two, or three... I have good intentions, but being intentional in my obedience and following through is what I'm working on now. I can do it! 

Although I am progressing in my obedience to God, I'm nowhere near where I want to be! That's right, I'm failing. But that's okay. God accepts me exactly where I am in my relationship with Him, and He knows what my future holds. I know that my obedience to Him will in fact become stronger and more sincere. I know that I'm on the right path. It's definitely not a straight line. In fact, there are many, many curves and overlaps on my path to become more obedient, but it's MY journey, and I couldn't be more proud of where I am! 

I will give you hidden treasures,
    riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the Lord,
    the God of Israel, who summons you by name.
-Isaiah 45:3

Moving forward, there are specific things I am going to incorporate into my day-to-day in order to fulfill my desire to become more obedient to God. 

STARTING MY DAY WITH GOD
I will begin every morning with God's word. Whether I have five minute or thirty minutes, I will start the day being rejuvenated in His glory. 

IT'S ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS
I don't plan on making huge life changes here. I believe it's about the little things. I will have my Bible and study tools {devotionals, journal, etc.} with me every day, no matter where I go. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Well, by keeping these things with me, I will be constantly reminded to just take a few minutes for God. I know this will help, because it has before. Right now, it's all about consistency, which will take some time but will definitely cause a change in my lifestyle to become more obedient. 

BE ALARMING
I will be setting an alarm on my phone to remind me to pray and/or study Scripture. Again, it's a reminder that this needs to be done, and until it becomes second nature, I know that this is another useful tool to aid in my journey of obedience. Because a journey it will definitely be. 

These are just three things that I have already slowly begun to incorporate into my daily routine. These are by no means a huge change or life adjustment. They are small and very doable because I'm all about realistic expectations and realistic changes. Why? Because I know myself, and I know that if I have unrealistic goals such as waking up an hour early every day to devote to Scripture or devoting certain days/hours to it, I know that I will fail. I know myself, and I know that all too often, I choose other things/people instead of choosing to be obedient to God. And why would I want to set myself up for failure?! 

I love how Amanda puts it: 
Obedience is our love language to God



"I wrestle with being obedient. I have a rebellious heart that is prone to wandering, and being obedient to the direction and commands of Jesus does not come naturally. But obedience is one discipline that is foundational in every season of life. Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). Our obedience to Christ is a sweet love song of worship and adoration of our Savior, no matter our season in life. Even when we’re knee-deep in the muddy waters of waiting."





My heart, too, is rebellious. Like I said, I choose material, temporary things instead of being engrossed in Scripture and study. I make up excuses, such as, "I'll get to it later." or "Right after this show." But God feels my love for Him most when I'm obedient. So, I'm working on it. It may take a few months to be on the track I'd really like to be on, or it may be a few years. However long it takes, I know the journey will be well worth it and that I'll eventually be satisfied with my obedience to our Savior. I'm going to be delighted in my obedience to the Lord. 

I encourage others to do the same. Be realistic and take baby steps. God accepts you right where you are, but you have to be willing to put in the time and effort, no matter how big or small, to become obedient in Him. It doesn't take much, but it takes something

Image

How are you being intentionally obedient to God?

6 comments:

Karla said...

Oooo! I love everything about this. I am the same way you are. I think setting an alarm on your phone is such a good idea. I have a devotional app that I think has an alarm so that you remember to read each day. I need to sit down and really look into it. You have motivated me! =D

Mandee said...

Love the alarm idea! I need to do the same - probably around the time of day that I find myself wanting to eat too much!

Anonymous said...

I love the alarm too! I get reminders to read by devotional and it definitely helps and get me in His Word more!! I agree with you in taking baby steps. Step by step and day by day. It works as long as you turn to God!! Keep praying and being obedient!!

Sarah Group 30 said...

Love your openness and honestly! You really put your heart on your sleeve and it is encouraging! Great Read :)

Anonymous said...

I remember setting my alarm everyday to go off at 5 and I would make a confession of God's word in my life and how I can apply it. I would say it for a minute wherever I was and repeat it over and over again until it got into my heart. I am now encouraged to start that again, baby steps that make a big impact. Thank God for you and this reminder!! Be blessed!! Valerie R.

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and receive dollars from every click on your short urls.

Pin It button on image hover