On Death and Dying

I don't know what it is about today, but everywhere I turn, there's death. There's loss and suffering. There's pain and sadness. There's hope and life.

Many friends on Facebook are posting about lost loved ones within these past few days - at least three. And ironically, I happen to watch the Army Wives episode that is the post trying to rebuild after the bombing at the Hump Bar (season 2, episode 1). And boy is it terribly sad. 4 killed and 15 injured, 3 critical. I know it's just a TV show, but it draws real emotions. It shows how, in such a short time, life can change. Death is obviously a part of life, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Of course it's not easy. It's hard. Heart-in-a-blender-pulsed-on-high hard. How do you deal with it? There is no answer. There is no easy button. There's only ways to help cope. And sometimes that's not even enough. But we've got to remember that those lost loved ones, no matter how old, are in the glorified presence of God, at peace. They are watching over us and smiling upon us. And in the case of all of my lost loved ones, they are looking down on me, shaking their heads at me for being so utterly sad. They are in Heaven. At peace. With no worries. But sometimes it doesn't make it any easier.

So, take the time to tell your loved ones that you love them. Kiss them and hold them tight. Every day is a gift; don't take it for granted. I know I don't. And I pray. Lots and lots of prayer. And hope. Hope, no matter how bleak, will get you through the mightiest storms.

But sometimes the scariest times are thinking of losing your loved ones. That fear and anxiety. Not knowing when the last day will be their last day. And my own last day. I know that my time here on earth is also short-lived. My last day will come when it's my time. And that still scares me. I know that I will bask in His glory once I'm no longer in my physical body, but it's also the unknown. And I fear the unknown. But in increasing my faith, I know that God has His plan for me and that I will be eternally at peace in Heaven with everyone I've ever lost, and then some. But for now, right now, it scares me. So, I pray that my education in my faith increases and I will reach a point where I am no longer afraid. I am confidant I will get to that point before my time on earth is up. I just have to keep working on it. And I will. I just have to keep up my hope. And pray :).

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover