A Raging Battle

I have joined over 40,000 other women in the current Online Bible Study, Made to Crave. It is a six-week journey via Proverbs 31 Ministries in which you devote time and energy to studying about God, deepening your faith, and quite possibly changing your life. Head over to Proverbs 31 to find out more. It's also not too late to sign up, if you're interested. 

LINKING UP FOR WEEK 1'S BLOG HOP
MadeToCrave_cover-01

Food isn't the only thing that tempts to destroy our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.  What other things do you currently crave more than God?

To answer this question, I really want to take a look at the definition of crave
crave
krāv/
verb
  1. 1.
    feel a powerful desire for (something).
  2. synonyms:long for, yearn for, desire, want, wish for, hunger for, thirst for, sigh for,pine for, hanker after, covet, lust after, ache for, set one's heart on,dream of, be bent on,
     itch for,be dying for
A powerful desire. To long for, desire, hunger for, covet, lust, be dying for. Could there be a more powerful word out there? Wow! 

This question makes me sad. Yes, sad. Why? Because currently, the answer is a long list of things. Things like craving an hour at the end of the day to watch a television show, those girl scout cookies my boss keeps offering, a day off from job #2, my husband to finish school, that cute pair of shoes and a new scarf, completing a Pinterest project for once in my life, a clean house, a magic cure for the unlimited piles of laundry sitting in our house, more time in a day... this list goes on and on. Sadly.  

When I'm lonely, I crave my husband, family time, and friends. 
When I'm angry, I crave space and bitterness. 
When I'm frustrated, I crave miracles and answers. 
When I'm tired, I crave sleep. 
When I'm happy, I crave unending time for the happiness to last. 

Now, let's go back to the definition of CRAVE. How amazing would it be to truly crave God in each of those moments? Instead of lusting after material things that don't matter, crave God. Desire, yearn for, be dying for, ache for GOD.

Just those two words: Crave God. Think about that. I've been focusing on those two little words all week long, and it's been a great start to this study! 


Our word this week is EMPOWERED
I feel empowered to make it through this study, and truly be committed to it. 
I'm empowered to make a lifestyle change, and truly strive to crave God more than material things that will never last. 
I'm empowered to share my story. 
I'm empowered to not let others' opinions and thoughts of me get the best of me. The best is for my Savior and Creator. The best is in His hands. 

My soul yearns, even faints,
    for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
    for the living God.
PSALM 84:2



Mandisa's song Overcomer is our theme song for this study, and it's a powerful one! I'm empowered to be an overcomer and begin to crave God in my life. In the good times and bad, Crave God

It's a raging battle, to continually fight against worldly cravings. But it's a battle that I will not stop fighting. It's a battle that I am fighting, along with the other 40,000+ women in this study. It's a battle that is worth fighting for. Will you fight? 

P31 OBS Blog Hop

What do you crave? 

3 comments:

Christi S said...

Oh, how this is making me think! I'm with you on the other cravings. Thank you for sharing!

Sarah Travis (OBS Small Group Leader) said...

I love this! Thank you for spelling out your cravings in different circumstances...I've never broken in down like that - it made me realize just how long the list of things I crave is!!! OUCH!
Like you, I do feel empowered...God has given us the power to be an overcomer and crave Him...it IS possible, and that gives me hope to continue in the battle.
Let's fight together!
Sarah Travis (OBS Volunteer)

Sadie Ussery said...

It's crazy how many things we can crave and different circumstances really bring out different cravings. Loved your perspective. Thanks for sharing. www.fortheirtenderhearts.com/

Pin It button on image hover