Christmas Movies

Now, it's no surprise that I love, love, LOVE Christmas. Seriously - every single thing about it! One of my favorites, though, is Christmas movies! From Lifetime movies to the 25 Days of Christmas on ABCFamily, to movies on Netflix - I'm a lover of all things Christmas movies! And yes, I'm well aware that Christmas has been over for almost two weeks now, but I have still been watching Christmas movies that I recorded. There's just not enough time in the day to get them all watched right at Christmas! So, without further adieu, here are the Christmas movies that I saw and loved this year, whether they be first-timers for me or traditional watches. 

A Christmas Proposal (2008) Poster
A Christmas Proposal
Two lawyers dueling over a proposal to turn a quaint mountain town into a ski resort are former childhood sweethearts. Lisa is fighting to protect Fillmore and big-city attorney Rick represents the developer who wants to plow down part of the town. When car troubles force Rick to stick around a few extra days, the small town and his former beloved begin to work their magic on him. 

This movie is one I've seen every year for the past few years on LMN {that's Lifetime Movie Network for those of you that aren't familiar}. I love the small-town feeling in this movie, and it always reminds me of home! 
Saving Santa (2013)

Saving Santa
A lowly stable elf finds that he is the only one who can stop an invasion of the North Pole by using the secret of Santa's sleigh, a TimeGlobe, to travel back in time to save Santa - twice. 

This is a movie that I found perusing Netflix one night and watched with my hubby while it was freezing outside. It made for a few laughs and a great lazy Saturday night in! Per IMDB, it was newly released this year. 

Christmas Vacation (1989)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Griswold family's plans for a big family Christmas predictably turn into a big disaster.

Okay, so I jumped on the National Lampoon's bandwagon this year! I've seen this movie on many Christmas-lover's movie lists, so I vowed to finally watch it this year {that's right, I was unfamiliar with the Griswold family prior to this movie this year!}. So, the Saturday after Thanksgiving while at Colten's grandparents' house, we watched it on Netflix, and it was hilarious! I'm so glad that I've finally seen this movie! Definitely a must-see for the entire family! 


Twelve Trees of Christmas (2013)Twelve Trees of Christmas
Cheri Jamison rallies the residents of her beloved Manhattan neighborhood to participate in a Christmas tree contest when her cherished local library is abruptly set for demolition. Cheri finds herself up against an ambitious developer, Tony Shaughnessy. 

This is a new movie on LMN, and I'm so glad that I recorded this one! It revolves entirely around an old, neighborhood library and the joys it brings to not only the employees, but the children and their families as well. As an avid reader myself, I truly enjoyed this film! It's a must for all book lovers alike! Heck, even if you don't love to read, it's still a great story. 


The Santa Clause (1994)The Santa Clause
When a man inadvertently kills Santa on Christmas Eve, he finds himself magically recruited to take his place. 

This one is a classic! I watch it every year, and this year enjoyed it with my husband. I laugh and really get into this movie every single time! It was first released in 2004, and I'm pretty sure I've been in love with it ever since. If you're looking for a good, fun, family Christmas movie - this one's for you! It's hilarious and very well done. Who doesn't want a glimpse inside of the North Pole at Christmastime? 


The Santa Clause 2 (2002)The Santa Clause 2
Scott Calvin has been a humble Santa for nearly ten years, but it might come to an end if he doesn't find a Mrs. Clause. 

This one is up there, right behind The Santa Clause {duh}. I love the addition of Scott's niece and her joy and love for Christmas! I also am fond of the fact that you really get to see Santa still being a father to Charlie, through all of his problems at school. I know it's what ultimately leads him to the Mrs, but it's nice to see the 'family' aspect of the movie as well as the Christmas one. If you're watching the first film, you might as well settle in for The Santa Clause 2 as well! 


Still of Tori Spelling in The Mistle-Tones (2012)The Mistle-Tones
Holly, blessed with an amazing singing voice, is all set to audition for the newly vacated spot in a legendary local Christmas group which was founded by her late mother years ago. Shocked and upset when the spot goes to the barely talented best friend of the group's leader, Marci, Holly sets out to create her own musical group, the Mistle-Tones. Holly finds herself on a journey to the real meaning of Christmas with some new friends and a new love thrown in for good measure. 

This movie is becoming a favorite of mine! It first released on ABC Family in 2012, and I just love it! It's a competitive movie about the love of Christmas and singing carols, with a love interest thrown in the mix. It's a great movie that reminds you of the true meaning of Christmas! A great flick for the whole family! 


Christmas on the Bayou (2013)Christmas on the Bayou
When successful New York marketing executive Katherine discovers her workaholic ways are taking a toll on her eight-year-old son, Zac, she decides to spend Christmas with him and her mother, Lilly, in her home town on the bayou. When Caleb tries to rekindle a childhood romance and convince her to move back home, Katherine is torn between the bright lights of the big city and the quiet, gentler rhythms of her Southern roots. Only a Christmas miracle orchestrated by Papa Noel can steer her heart to her true home. 

This is a newly released movie on Lifetime. It's such an amazing story of a family trying to survive post-divorce at Christmas. Being a southern girl myself, it was refreshing to watch a truly Southern Christmas movie and just fall in love with the small hometown community on the bayou. And the Christmas parade was out of this world! I loved this movie!! 


The Holiday (2006)The Holiday
Two women troubled with guy problems swap homes in each other's countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love. 

I may be biased on this one, seeing as when I first moved out of my parents' house, I didn't have cable and didn't own any DVD's other than this movie, so I watched it on repeat for weeks and weeks before I finally got cable hooked up. With that being said, this is my all-time favorite movie ever! I love the humor, the romances, the homey feel of England with the large city life of L.A. It's just a great mix all the way around! Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz killed it! It also doesn't hurt to get to stare at Jude Law...just sayin'. :) 



So, there you have it! Christmas movie watchin' is officially over in our home, as sad as it makes me. But I absolutely loved these movies this past Christmas, and I can't wait to see what next Christmas brings! :)  What are some of your go-to Christmas movies? 

4 comments:

Karla said...

Yes! Love me some Christmas movies!! I've seen all except that first one.. Christmas Proposal. I have to keep that in mind! =)

Jen said...

I hadn't seen Christmas Vacation (or any of the other "Vacation" movies) either until about 3 years ago. My husband used to watch it all the time, and bought it, not realizing I'd never seen it. Now it's an annual feature, and he bought the other 3 films for me for Christmas. His family's other annual traditional movie is A Christmas Story which my sisters and I were never allowed to watch as kids. My parents haven't seen either movie, either, and were discussing it last year, so I promptly bought them copies of both and gave them their Christmas gift EARLY this time, so they could enjoy watching them before Christmas.

We were such sheltered kids. The list of movies I haven't seen because I "wasn't allowed to" at the time and still haven't caught up on is shameful.

Haley said...

First of all I can't believe you had never seen Christmas Vacation!!!!!! I'm so glad you have.. It's hilarious! It is also my all time favourite Christmas movie. I watch it every year on Christmas Eve (usually) and I am never sick of it! Also The Holiday was my all time favourite chick flick for years. I too over watched it. So I'm not really into seeing it much these days. But everything about it, is just perfect. I always recommend The Family Stone too. Another good Christmas-family kind of movie.

Patty said...

#3 and #5 are some of my favs, but some of the other ones you mention sound good too!! Do you happen to know if any of them are on Netflix??

Pin It button on image hover